About Wild Words: Adirondack Teen Writing Anthology
Wild Words: Adirondack Teen Writing Anthology is a new publication of the Adirondack Center for Writing, created to give teens a venue to publish their original creative writing. Any teen (age 13-19) living in the North Country is eligible to submit writing for consideration. Each contributor will receive one copy of the anthology when it launches in spring 2023. Submitting writing is not a guarantee of publication.
What We’re Looking For
Up to 10 pages (maximum – shorter is fine!) of poetry, short stories, short memoirs, personal essays, sci-fi, and fantasy written by teens living in the North Country. You may submit as many pieces of writing as you want, but they all need to be in the same document/file. Make sure you have included a title for each piece of writing you submit.
How ACW Can Help
- We have a Teen Lounge open 9AM-5PM at our Saranac Lake location where teens can write, read, and build community after school. All are welcome!
- Contact us to schedule a class visit to the Adirondack Center for Writing or to discuss bringing a writer into your classroom for a visit.
- Join us for the High School Writing Retreat, October 27 & 28, 2022.
- Stay tuned and watch our events calendar for upcoming workshops.
- Use promo materials from our toolkit for teachers and organizations, located below.
Toolkit for Teachers & Organizations
ACW has compiled a toolkit to help promote Wild Words in your community or classroom. You are welcome to duplicate and use any of these materials:
- Worksheets – Black & white PDF worksheets for poetry, fiction, and nonfiction
- Low-ink printable posters – 8.5×11 PDF in color and b&W
- Full color posters – 11×17 PDF and 8.5×11 PDF
- Social media graphics – Zip file with square pngs (tag us so we can share! @adkctr4writing on Instagram, Twitter & Facebook)
- Press release – PDF
- Logo – PNG on white & transparent backgrounds
Teen Writer Resources
Additional resources & opportunities for teen creative writers:
- #TeenWritersProject Quarterly Lit Zine – Curated prose, poetry, interviews, art, and photography by teens, designed by teens around the globe.
- The Adroit Journal’s Summer Mentorship Program – An online program that pairs established writers with high school students interested in learning more about the creative writing processes of drafting, redrafting and editing.
- Writopia Lab – Workshops, camps, clubs, organizations, publishing opportunities and more.
- Élan – International student literary magazine.
- Polyphony Lit – A global online literary platform for high school students.
- The Weight Journal – Publishing teen voices.
- The New York Times – Out of the Classroom and Into the World: 70-Plus Places to Publish Teenage Writing and Art (article)
- Teen Sequins – Annual showcase from Gigantic Sequins presenting outstanding poetry from young writers.
- Penguin Random House Creative Writing Awards – College scholarships of up to $10,000 each to five public U.S. high school seniors, nationwide.
About The Project
Creatives Rebuild New York (CRNY), a project of the Tides Center, is a three-year, $125 million investment in the financial stability of New York State artists and the organizations that employ them. The Wild Words Anthology was made possible through support from CRNY’s Artist Employment Program in collaboration with Visiting Writer Erin Dorney. Logo image by rawpixel.com on Freepik.