About the online writing classes.
Each season welcomes a new batch of talented teachers and developing writers from all over the world. The Adirondack Center for Writing’s online classes are easy for you to participate in from your own computer. All you need to participate is a web browser — there’s no technical software involved, so you can work whenever is convenient for you.
An interactive workshop is at the heart of each class. Every student will receive personal feedback from the instructor on their weekly assignments. We welcome any level of writer to join the online writing classes, and offer courses for a variety of genres. Visit the FAQ page for more info about the online writing classes.
“I was a teacher for thirty years, and I can tell you that Julia Shipley knows her stuff and is willing to share her knowledge. She works to better student writing. She’s efficient, friendly and enthusiastic.”
“I have taken 8 online courses from One Story, Grub Street, and Gotham City. Julia Shipley’s preparation and presentation were the most thorough of all.”
“The class was the perfect amount of challenge, stimulation and fun.”
“I loved this course. It forced me to work at my edge. Jessica Hendry Nelson gave detailed feedback. I took risks and learned a lot.”
Previously Offered Courses
The Adirondack Center for Writing has offered a series of online writing workshops with an amazing group of teachers, including the following:
- Writing Young Adult Fiction with Chris Tebbetts
- The Personal Essay with Annie Stoltie
- Memoir Writing with Mary Sanders Shartle
- Limbs & Language: Writing Poetry with Mahogany L. Browne
- The Unconventional Memoir with Jessica Hendry Nelson
- Fiction Bootcamp with Gary Lee Miller
- Lightning in a Bottle: Writing the Nature Flash with Julia Shipley
- Make It Sing: Writing Poetry Out of the Everyday with José Olivarez
- Essays from Personal Experience with Carrie Laben
- The Promise of a Good Story: Writing Middle Grade and Young Adult Novels with Chris Tebbetts
- Essay Associated: Experiments in Creative Nonfiction with Jessica Hendry Nelson
- Shazam: The Superpower of Shortform (Sequel to Lightning in a Bottle: Reading and Writing the Nature Flash) with Julia Shipley
- (re)Making Memory: Writing Poetry with Desiree C. Bailey
- Seeding Your Sequoias: Writing Tiny but Mighty Prose with Julia Shipley
To register for an ACW online writing class, use this form.
- ACW Member: $150
- Non-Member: $200
Cost per five week course is $150 for ACW members and $200 for Non-members. Payable by credit card or check sent to Adirondack Center for Writing, P.O. Box 956, Saranac Lake, New York 12983. Want to become a member and get the benefits? Join the family now!