Thanks for registering for an ACW Online Writing Class!
Your invitation to the classroom will arrive via email the first day of class. In the meantime, take a look through this FAQ page.
About the Classroom
The Adirondack Center for Writing has chosen to use Google Classroom for all of our online writing classes, which is a Google app for educational organizations. The site is intuitive and streamlined, and relatively easy to use for all technology experience levels. Google Classroom works best in the Google Chrome web browser. Depending on your operating system and browser, you may need to download the Google Chrome web browser, which you can do here. The classroom is not findable or viewable without an invitation and an adirondackcenterforwriting.org email account. Check out the FAQ section for more info.
Google Classroom Instructions
*For users who need an email account created (ie their personal email has limitations):
Using Your New Google Student Account.
Before classes start you will receive an email with instructions, including your new adirondackcenterforwriting.org account. It will look like this:
You will use this account to log into Gmail* and into Google Classroom. You will receive an invitation to join Google Classroom in your new adirondackcenterforwriting.org email account. Accept the invitation to join and view the classroom.
* If you already have a Gmail account, make sure to add your new account and select to use your adirondackcenterforwriting.org account when in Google Classroom.
Using Google Classroom.
Google Chrome works best for the classroom, but you can use any web browser. To download Google Chrome, click here. You can use the Google Chrome web browser to log into your student email account, and/or Google Classroom.
Using Your New Student Email & Going to the Classroom.
To log into the classroom on a regular basis, go to www.gmail.com to log into your account using your adirondackcenterforwriting.org email and password. When you log-in, you will see this at the top of the page:
Click on the Applications area (circled in red), scroll down and click on the Google Classroom icon. This will take you to the online writing classes.
Participating and Submitting Assignments.
In the Classroom, there is a tab labeled STREAM (circled in red above). This is where all your readings, questions, and assignments will be posted by your teacher.
When an assignment is posted, you will see this:
To view and submit your assignment, click .
When you open the assignment, click and select the button from the drop-down menu to create a new writing assignment. This will open a new Google Doc page for your assignment. A new assignment will pop up in the box, click the title to start writing.
When you are finished with the assignment, and want to turn it in to your teacher, click the Turn In button.
This will take you back to the Classroom, where you can click to submit.
How do I see my grades/get feedback?
You will get direct feedback from the teacher on all of your assignments. Teachers will review your submitted assignments, and return the assignment. The assignment will then have this icon on the top right. You will also be notified of this in your adirondackcenterforwriting.org email account. Simply click Open to view the comments from your teacher.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What if I have technical difficulties?
– Contact Baylee (firstname.lastname@example.org) from the Adirondack Center for Writing.
Q: What materials will I need?
– You will need computer access daily. If possible you should plan to use the Google Chrome web browser. All class materials assigned by the teacher will exist on the site and be provided to you, so you won’t need to gain access to any outside lectures or textbooks.
Q: Will I have to be available to meet every day?
– The class is online, and doesn’t have a daily “meeting time”. Each teacher will post readings and assignments throughout the week to the classroom site. It’s your job to check in to the site every day, at your convenience.
Q: How do I contact my teacher?
– In Google Classroom, under the ABOUT tab, the teacher’s name and contact email is listed. Click on the mail icon to send the teacher an email message.
Q: How do I contact other students?
– The contact info for each student is private, and the teacher will arrange spaces to exchange contact info if necessary.
Q: How do I save my work outside of the Classroom?
Each student is provided with a Google Drive folder that is associated with your student email account. All your assignments will be saved in Google Drive when you submit them for grading by the teacher. You can view your Drive by clicking on the applications button (circled in red) and clicking on the Drive icon.