Community encourages creativity.
Year round we assemble neighbors, invite inspiration and reflection, have hard conversations, connect with listeners, speakers, readers, and writers. We work hard to bring words and people together and we are so thankful that our efforts are valued. Take for example a comment we received this week:
“Please know that I LOVE what you all are doing and will continue to help support and spread the ideas and energy of the Adirondack Writing Center. I am a big fan and now supporter of the movement! I believe what you are doing is valuable and you do it wonderfully.” – Saratoga community member and Howl Story Slam attendee
We are a small organization that makes a BIG impact in your community. ACW supporters have a lot to be proud from this past year. Here are some of the highlights:
- Our groundbreaking Listen Poetry Festival, in partnership with Planned Parenthood, brought spoken word poets to talk with hundreds of high school and college students about healthy relationships.
- In partnership with NCPR, our Howl Story Slams brought hundreds of locals to stages across the region to share their true stories with appreciative and supportive audiences.
- Hundreds of students from around the region discovered a love of poetry by participating in our High School Writing Retreats.
- We continued to host the longest running federal prison writing program in the nation, teaching creative writing, literacy, and providing professional development at the Federal Correction Institute in Ray Brook, New York.
- We once again turned downtown Saranac Lake into PoemVillage. Nearly 300 poems from writers in the Tri-Lakes region were displayed in every business window, enjoyed by locals and visitors for the whole month of April.
This year we are forging new partnerships to bring even more provocative and inspiring programs to every region in the North Country. And as always, we will offer writing workshops, publishing advice, and readings with local and nationally acclaimed authors. It is support from community members like you that help make these programs possible.
We are asking you to show your support by giving either at the basic level of $40 or a higher level to better help us meet our goals.
With sincere thanks,
Nathalie Thill, Executive Director
Baylee Annis, Assistant to the Director