PoemVillage Saranac Lake
In April 2016, we set out to welcome poems from locals to celebrate the creativity and talent of the Adirondack community for National Poetry Month. We were blown away to have been sent over 400 poems, and see the storefronts of downtown Saranac Lake come to life with poems! Now we’re calling for submissions to our second annual PoemVillage event. ACW welcomes all forms of poetry from anyone with ties to our region. We want to see your poems! If it’s your first poem or your thousandth, submit it to PoemVillage.
- All submissions will be accepted, and there are no judges of the poems submitted. All work must be an original work from the submitting individual.
- We cap our submissions at a total of 350, get yours in now!
- Limit 1-3 submissions per person.
- New year, new poems, please refrain from submitting a poem already printed in PoemVillage.
- The Adirondack Center for Writing welcomes classes and teachers located in the region to submit poems from classwork as well. Individual students are encouraged to submit poetry on their own. Submit your poems in the form below.
All submissions of poetry from community members, elementary kids to seniors, will be displayed in the windows of partnering businesses in downtown Saranac Lake. All poems submitted will be printed as PocketPoems and will sneak their way under cups of coffee, between pages of a local newspaper, and in the shelves of your favorite shops. It’s your job to find them, and hide them for someone new to find! This year PoemVillage will boast an even fuller schedule of events throughout the month including local poets readings performances, PoemVillage Pub Crawl, and much more!
PoemCity was created by Rachel Senechal and Phayvanh Luekhamhan and developed by the Kellogg- Hubbard Library, Montpelier, Vermont. The Adirondack Center for Writing, with the help of local writing groups, is proud to be the first organizers welcoming the event to the state of New York.
“Imagine visiting your favorite restaurant for brunch. Your meal has just been delivered to you and as you lift up the cloth napkin on the table in front of you, a piece of paper flutters down into your lap. You pick it up and read a haunting haiku. Or, later, maybe you’re taking a stroll downtown. You stop and admire a store’s window display and notice a sonnet taped to the glass. This–poetry–all around you, in plain-sight, to enjoy, to inspire and, ultimately to share, is at the heart of the Adirondack Center for Writing’s April initiative, PoemVillage Saranac Lake.” –Celebrating Community Through the Written Word, by Laura Perras in Lake Champlain Weekly
1. Deadline: March 15, 2018
2. You may submit 1-3 poems. You will copy/paste your poems into the form below.
3. Each poem must not exceed 24 lines. Poems longer than 24 lines will not be accepted or displayed.
4. Please ensure that you have the rights to offer this poem for publication. This poem must be your own work.
Questions? Contact Baylee Annis at the Adirondack Center for Writing
If you do not use a computer, we will accept typed poems. Please only use this option if it is absolutely impossible for you to submit online. Please send to:
Adirondack Center for Writing
P.O. Box 956
Saranac Lake, New York 12983
2018 PoemVillage Sponsors
- Spencer Boatworks
- Geomatics Land Surveying
North Country Community College
Regional Office of Sustainable Tourism (ROOST)
Special thanks to our amazing sponsors for their generous support of PoemVillage and their communities.