- Friday, June 17, 2022 4:00pm – Sunday, June 19, 2022 10:00am
- Great Camp Sagamore in Raquette Lake
- Registrations open now! (spots are limited and tend to fill quickly)
Join a group of like-minded women for a reading and writing retreat. Activities will include writing workshops, reflective paddling, arts-based activities, technical writing and experiential learning, and Adirondack-based readings to contemplate the role of sense of place in nature writing.
This weekend is dedicated to the memory of Anne LaBastille, whose passion for the Adirondacks led to her writing the landmark series of “Woodswoman” books documenting her experiences and observations of the natural world. Registration fee includes 2 nights lodging, all meals, workshop sessions and supplies.
This year’s writing workshop leader is: Mary Sanders Shartle
Starting at $450 per person. Includes 2 nights lodging, all meals, workshop sessions and supplies. If you prefer, you can call to register: (315) 354-5311.
About Your Stay
- 2 nights lodging, all meals in our historic Vanderbilt Dining Hall, historic tour of the family’s guest & workers’ complexes, water sports on secluded Sagamore Lake, lawn games, bowling, campfires, and miles of hiking & biking trails in the 3,500 acre Historic Great Camps Special Management Area
- Wine & beer is for sale
- Check-in at 4pm on day of arrival
- Check-out by 10am on day of departure – but you are welcome to stay for one last paddle!
From Great Camp Sagamore
- Great Camp Sagamore is taking precautions that will address the health and safety of all of our guests during this pandemic. Camp is following guidelines from the CDC and NYS Health Department in response to COVID 19. If you have any questions or concerns regarding staying with us, please call (315) 354-5311.
- With regards to COVID 19, Great Camp Sagamore has implemented protocols that will allow individuals or groups that are traveling together to reserve a room/rooms that have access to an assigned bathroom. Guests will not be sharing bathrooms with strangers.
- In keeping with our status as a wilderness retreat, there is no cell phone service at Great Camp Sagamore. WiFi is available in the Collins Building only and is accessible to all guests in the building’s guest lounge.
- Great Camp Sagamore is an 18-acre wilderness campus with gravel paths, dirt roads, and stairs leading into all buildings. There are no elevators. Great Camp Sagamore is not wheelchair accessible.
- All accommodations are within historic buildings. There is no air conditioning. There are no mini-fridges, complimentary toiletries, hairdryers, or televisions in the bedrooms. We do provide a large guest refrigerator to store extra food or beverages.
“Meeting women of all ages, places and experiences. Powerful, powerful times. I have been in such a place of limbo…feeling doubtful and insecure about what’s next. I’ve always said, “I want to/I will write a book”. Saturated with inspiration, power and wisdom. Truth. Raw unabridged truths. How refreshing. Its reminded me of what I’ve always known, but felt I wasn’t really a writer. I have been given this time – now – to finally fly. The power when we all as woman come together and share is beautiful. I am so grateful, so honored, so excited, so blessed to have been at this retreat.”
“The retreat was a wonderful experience that has settled me into a quieter place to better facilitate my writers mind.”
“My ONLY issue with our retreat was the too-short timeframe! What a swell group bonding there was!”
“I had a wonderful time on the retreat. I hope to return next time…I want to explore the idea of expanding Anne’s legacy through art song … so I felt such a beginning of really great things to come.”
“I had an amazing time and really enjoyed the extra time spent with Leslie on Sunday. Sagamore is a special place!”
“Like a week’s worth of good work, camp memories in just 36 hours! I am still simmering with delight.”
“The weekend was so inspiring and I came home with many new ideas and a reading list a mile long! I’m a member of the Adirondack Center for Writing so maybe we’ll bump into each other at some point. It was truly a weekend to remember!”
Please note: All lodging arrangements and weekend activity inquiries should be sent to Great Camp Sagamore.