Adirondack Mountain Club (ADK)
Position Announcement: Director of Publications
The Adirondack Mountain Club (ADK) is a diverse organization engaged in responsible outdoor recreation, education, stewardship, conservation, and advocacy. ADK’s Director of Publications is responsible for all aspects of ADK’s book, map, and calendar publishing program and is attentive to how these products function to advance ADK’s environmental education goals, increase membership, and promote ADK’s mission and image overall. In addition, the position oversees internal program publications. The position supervises a publications designer and volunteer efforts, as needed, and reports to the Executive Director.
Location: Lake George, NY
• Determines program emphases and long-term plans in keeping with ADK’s mission and goals.
• Oversees print purchasing and production plans
• Conceives, solicits, and selects new products, maintains backlist titles, and projects multiyear plans and production schedules
• Manages the work of Publications staff, ADK authors and editors, and other independent contractors.
• Cultivates current and prospective authors, editors, and freelance services.
• Completes and oversees substantive editing, copyediting, and proofing
• Executes bibliographic responsibilities for new titles and new editions
• Oversees program publications process
- Coordinates with Communications Director to promote ADK’s published products and with Development and Membership Directors on use of ADK publications as premiums.
- Launches new trade products (publicity, promotion, and advertising) to individual book buyers, book sellers, libraries, and wholesalers, including direct mail campaigns and outreach to chapters; for news releases and other promotional announcements; for jacket copy, space advertising, and other special promotional steps as appropriate.
• Designates review copies, complimentary copies, and proofs to be sent to appropriate sources.
• Schedules and budgets annually for new titles, new editions, and reprints, in coordination with Executive Director and Chief Financial Officer.
• Minimum Bachelor’s degree and strong written communications skills required
• Book-publishing, managerial, editorial, and print-purchasing experience required
• Minimum five years in publishing, including editorial, contracting, and production experience
• Managerial experience to include budgeting and employee supervision, including managing the work of independent contractors
• Demonstrated experience in substantive editing, copyediting, and proofing
• Proficiency with computers and some familiarity with digital implications and potential for publishing
Full-time, exempt position
To Apply: Please send a cover letter and resume, together with the names, addresses, and phone numbers of three references to Search Committee, Adirondack Mountain Club, 814 Goggins Road, Lake George, NY 12845. Fax: 518-668-3746. E-mail: Virginia@adk.org. Web site: ADK.org
The Adirondack Mountain Club is an equal opportunity employer.